Monday, May 24, 2010

Dawn Patrol on Zandvlei

Was on Zandvlei in my Kayak before dawn on Sunday to join four energetic eco-activists for the Zandvlei leg of their Peninsula Paddle from M/Berg Beach to Milnerton along the vleis, rivers and (sadly) mainly canals. Started at the bridge before sunrise - then paddled just as it was getting light along the vlei to the top where the Fish Eagles roost. Early morning orange, pelicans, king fishers and a zillion other water birds made for a wonderful start to the day. Some seagull rowdies hassled the eagles off their roost and I heard them call overhead as I paddled back. On the way, I did a loop through a section of the Marina to see how the water worlders live. There are shallow sections immediately upstream of Main Road Bridge, but I made it through to meet the incoming tide at the weir. Glided over into the sea to land on the beach. Next time I shall take breakfast and stop on the Island to enjoy the birds. 
Kim K.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Contributors