Friday, February 05, 2010

SURFSKIS FOR TALL PEOPLE

Barbara has asked why I have not yet joined her and Estelle at Zandvlei on their Tuesday and Thursday training paddles...

The short answer is that if you are, like me, 1.9 metres tall and a beginner then finding a suitable ski seems to be a challenge.

The problem, is essence, the lenghth of the cockpit. A very friendly shop asistant at a famous Paddling Shop told me yesterday that "all cockpits are the same length" and while I readily admit that I know very little about Skis, I cannot, with respect agree. The issue really, as I see it, centres around the overall length of the ski. If the ski is long the cockpit can be made longer. My admittedly limited Engineering savvy tells me that all things must be kept in proportion...?

The longer skis (+- 6,4m) are aimed at the upper end of the skill level. They are also narrower. This we know from Kayaks. Compare an Epic 18 to a Skua. The problem with a Ski is that the longer and narrower boats are far more tippy. They are aimed at the advanced paddler. The shorter skis (+-5,6m)are wider and more stable.

From a beginners perspective (I view myself as a beginner in this context) stability is a major issue. When a Kayaker first climbs on a "beginners" ski it is like learning to paddle all over again. You are unstable but feel subjectively that your balance is probably better than a complete novice. Having said this I must point out that their are some skis that claim to be so stable that a complete novice can just jump on and paddle them. I think that a Kayaker who is moving to Surfskis thinks (as I do) that if he/she wants that kind of stability then maybe he/she should just get a faster Kayak...

So to my point.. The faster, narrower and unstable Skis fit me legwise although, being so narrow, they seem to be a bloody tight fit at the hips. The shorter, more stable skis don't fit me legwise but are wider and the waist is comfortable.(at least those that I have seem to date). If this unltimately proves to be an incontravertible fact across all makes then where to??

The only ski that  have paddled for any length of time is Derek's Fenn XT (wider and "stable"). Yesterday I tried to paddle a Custom Kayaks Synergy (fast and long). By comparison this is the equivelent of the Fenn Elite (+_ 6,4m). Suffice it to say that I struggled to stay upright in flat water and all my senses went into overdrive just to maintain any semblance of balance.  The narrowness and tight fit at the hips, combined with the "instability" also makes it harder to get back on.

I think that stability is to some extent, a relative thing. With experience and practice, practice, practice, the issue fades. But how much practice? And in the meantime... where and when to get the paddling time in?

I am also convinced that at our level, the differences in speed between the stable and "unstable" boats is not significant. I am not the quickest paddler to start with. Basil, 15 years my senior, is quicker in any boat than I am. He is just a better, stronger and fitter paddler. Maybe some of this is that he just gets much more time on the water than I do.

As to the makes of Skis in this scenario? One of the problems is that there are few boats readily available for testing and it seems as if you often have to paddle privately owned boats. This is both a bit embarrasing and frustrating because my time is extremely limited. I am told that the Epic V10 is a very good ski but that you can't get them at the moment. The Fenn Elite has about a 2 month waiting list but would (I am told) be too narrow for me. Custom Kayaks boats seem to be readily available. There are one or 2 others that I have not been able to test (or see).

I received some good advice from the guru himself- Dawid Mocke and from Derek who, while only a recent surfskier himself, has a good sense about paddling and boats. Of course the shops can only sell you what is available on the market. My problems are mine and I must ultimately make an informed choice.

Derek and I chatted yesterday.  We think that maybe a XT with a modified track if that is possible. At least Derek has the boat in stock. On the other hand - The XT is so ubiquitous. I have it in my mind that I would like to have something different. Maybe a colour other than white? Maybe the solution is to approach one of the manufacturers?

The search continues...

Paul

2 comments:

  1. A little birdie or 2 told me that u r soon going to join us mere mortals in the weed and slime in a boat made for tall people? Is this in fact true?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbs

    Yes - I will soon be joining you having ordered the Custom Kayaks Horizon from Dawid Mocke. I will show you what modification I am making in order to accomodate my height.

    best regards

    Paul

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Contributors