Monday, November 19, 2007

Seaforth Race Report

Sadly our talented blogger Paul did not compete this year so it is left to me to paint a small and considerably less amusing picture of the event.
Last year all us kayakers raced in the short course but this year I, stupidly, decided to brave the long course as it was advertised as only 14km. As our kayak races are usually 10km I reckoned the extra 4 would not be too bad. Well actually the two lap long course was just under 18kms which made the "short course" nearly nine!
As you can see from the results us asterisk-marked kayakers did OK. I'm told Kim would have done even better had she not decided to go off-piste for a while right at the end. Big applause to (I think his name is) Etienne who none of us knew, and looked like he'd only recently taken up the sport, for participating. Hopefully one of the short coursers will be moved to type up a little report for me to add to the blog?
The long course? It started like a whirlwind and I reckon I was halfway or lower down the field by the time we rounded a pretty choppy Ark Rock where at least two guys went swimming who were caught out by the big rebound waves. They get back onto these surfski things pretty quick though. Got some very good surfing down to the wreck - wind was probably 30-40kph - and then saved some energy on the tow of the ski in front until the jungle jim at the navy but lost him at the turn towards the yacht harbour. Through the yachts and up to the bullnose in the sheltered waters and then into the wind and waves back to Ark Rock to begin lap two. The wind had picked up as well so it was a tough upwind haul, but turning downwind back to the wreck made for some really good surfing. I even overtook the ski in front of me on this section, although he caught me up towards the end and eventually beat me. Boy was I knackered for the last upwind section to the finish at Seaforth which could not come soon enough. For the record I was 71st out of 81 paddlers in a time of 1 hour 55 mins. The bastard winner did it in 1.21
But enough of me, how was your Sunday?

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mr Goldman

    Many thanks for your report.

    Fortunately for the other participants the race co-incided with the Annual IMOC Toy Run this year.

    More truthfully and having a look at the results I doubt whether I would have been in sufficiently jovial mood to pen a humorous rendition after having been roundly trounced by Basil,The Hun Mark and Geoff ( actually by their Surf -Ski -Copy Kayaks). I can still (barely) tolerate being outclassed by that illegal carbon tub...

    I would of course have comfortably seen off Ou Gryshaar and his young wife.

    I and my real Sea Kayak look forward to seeing you guys soon.

    best regards

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sir Weber,

    Thank you for your poor excuse of helping unfortunate youngsters to become frightened of hairy, butch motorcyclists. It is important work.
    You could try for the Fish Hoek race in December?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Contributors